Thursday 1 December 2011

The Harwich Winter Ale Festival

And so walking home along Marine Parade on a windy night after a trip to the tenth Harwich Winter Ale Festival on Kingsway - but well worth it! The variety is incredible and the atmosphere friendly. Mauldon's Blackberry Porter was incredible (in a nice way) and Oakham's Citra very refreshing. I wonder if astrophsicists can advise me whether my request for half a Black Hole was feasible?

Some years ago I was helping at this event and an Italian lady approached, said she had never tried British real ale but wanted to, and asked what I would recommend, requesting that I chose something local. What a responsibility! I went for Crouch Vale's Amarillo as being tasty, Essex and not as wildly different from a good lager as, say, a weighty porter might have been. She liked it.

1 comment:

  1. Those sound great...and the festival sounds wonderful!

    I lived in Germany for 5 months and have plans to return. We did a lot of traveling, so I'm going to have to look into when the festival will be next year.

    ReplyDelete